Cards lose tight one
HAMILTON – Guelph pitcher Edwin Javier went the distance in the Royals' 5-3 win over the Hamilton Cardinals Sunday afternoon at Carstar Field at Bernie Arbour Memorial Stadium.
Javier (1-0) needed 142 pitches to finish the job. He allowed three runs on nine hits with five walks and nine punchouts.
Offensively, Justin Interisano went 3-for-4 with a home run, two RBI and two runs. Angel Villalona and Ricky Murray each had a pair of hits and an RBI, while Josh Garton and Sean Reilly both singled and scored. Darius Barlas singled and doubled.
For Hamilton, Connor Patterson singled twice and drove in a run, and Jon Dziomba had the other RBI. Justin Gideon and Chris Beer each went 2-for-5 with a run.
Zackary Gonzalez (0-1) took the loss, giving up five runs (four earned) on 10 hits over five innings. He walked one and struck out five.
Guelph improved to 4-4, and Hamilton dropped to 3-3.
* Justin Gideon's 5th double of the season in the 1st gives him 41 doubles in his career
* Justin Gideon's 2 stolen bases on Friday gives him 60 in his career
* Stefan Strecker made his 270th career appearance on Friday
* Chris Beer picked up his 19th career SB and Connor Bowie his 15th career SB
* The save on Friday night was Tanner Guindon's 8th career save
* The Cardinals bullpen has not given up a run in the last 14 Innings pitched
* This week the Cardinals will again play 2 home games. Friday June 7 vs Toronto 7:30, and Sunday June 9 vs Brantford 2:00 pm